WHATSAPP

Sunday

Dumb Little Man - tips for life: “Three Ways to Stay Positive, Productive, and Physically Fit During an Injury” plus 1 more

Dumb Little Man - tips for life: “Three Ways to Stay Positive, Productive, and Physically Fit During an Injury” plus 1 more

Link to Dumb Little Man - Tips for Life

Three Ways to Stay Positive, Productive, and Physically Fit During an Injury

Posted: 07 Dec 2013 03:17 PM PST


Jogging full-force at dusk on uneven pavement while listening to awesome music holds a few hidden, unpleasant trappings. For me, it was a recipe for disaster that ended in one black-and-blue, severely sprained ankle.

Since then, the past month has been an exercise in patience -- which is, admittedly, not one of my strongest virtues. I'm usually a really active person: I thrive on the high that comes from being consistently physically active. Running and dancing are my go-to pick-me-ups; if I'm near a pool, I'll soon be in it, swimming laps. 

My best memories involve some kind of movement: dancing expressively with all of my friends during  class, letting everything go with each jump, arm flail (dance meditation is not always pretty!), and toe-touch; jogging no matter where I am (cities in India are not conducive to a peaceful run); gliding through the water, alternating between freestyle and breaststroke, feeling the release of tension melt away there in the pool.

So, I knew I was in for a personally challenging recovery period: staying still; needing to take taxis everywhere (technically tuk-tuks, since I live in Thailand); getting blisters from using crutches; pain; wooziness from anti-inflammatory drugs; and, most significantly, no exercise!

Don't worry, that is the end of my griping -- because what I've learned from the experience has actually been invaluable. I've learned a lot about myself, particularly that daily exercise is my main strategy for productivity and overall happiness.
Read more »

Weight Loss Advice: Is a Calorie a Calorie?

Posted: 07 Dec 2013 08:24 AM PST

Do you believe that a calorie is a calorie?

What I mean is, in terms of weight loss or gain, do you take the position that it doesn't matter where those calories come from? It would produce the same result anyway? Well, let's look at the fundamental truth here - the first law of thermodynamics.

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Calories are simply a measure of energy. They therefore cannot be created, nor can they disappear. So if you eat something, you either burn it or you store it, right?



Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment